Aleksandër Moisiu University of Durrës (UAMD) is a public higher education institution established in 2005. The University is located in the ancient city of Durrës and has a branch in Peshkopi. The institution took its name from Austrian actor Aleksandër Moisiu, who was of Albanian descent.
UAMD is the newest of the eleven public universities in Albania. The University has set as its strategic mission “to foster and develop critical and analytical thinking as well as the sense of responsibility and commitment to the people, community, culture, events and various issues that disturb the individual and the community”.
To accomplish this strategic mission, UAMD adheres to these key goals:
- a) Through university-level teaching and scientific programs of advanced, contemporary theoretical, methodical and practical level, to professionally prepare senior specialists in areas that meet the needs of individuals and employers by preparing graduates for diverse careers in the competitive labor market in accordance with the requirements and needs of changing society and development;
- b) Through state-of-the-art scientific research work to form new scientists in the covered fields;
- c) Provide continuous and contemporary qualification for academic staff in the fields it covers;
- d) To attract the best specialists and in all ways to encourage their ever-growing contributions to the respective fields;
- e) To carry out scientific studies to further develop knowledge in the scientific profiles that it emanates.
Today UAMD has six main units (faculties) which offer different program studies in different disciplines and levels (bachelor, master and Ph.D):
1) Faculty of Business;
2) Faculty of Political Science and Law;
3) Faculty of Education;
4) Faculty of Information and Technology;
5) Faculty of Professional Studies;
6) Faculty of Integrated Studies with Practice.
During its years of operation UAMD has established a good spirit of cooperation with local stakeholders, being a catalyst for the economic and social development of Durres. On the other hand, the university has established mutual relations with European universities and institutions getting the best academic experiences. So far, UAMD has been a partner in several modernization projects funded by EU, in many Erasmus Plus exchange projects, national and international scientific research projects. These projects and collaborations have brought a spirit of internationalization that will facilitate the institution to be even more integrated to the European higher education space.